Twinkle, Twinkle, Awesome Spark

Twinkle, twinkle, little star.
I don’t wonder what you are.
Quite beyond medieval ken 
You are largely hydrogen.

When the blazing sun is gone
Bringing someone else's dawn,
I can see your faint far light 
Twinkle, twinkle through the night.

But the traveller in the dark 
Needs no more your puny spark. 
Compass, map and satellite 
Superannuate your light

Blurred out in the urban pitch.
(Light pollution is a bitch.)
Still I gladly shut my eye
Knowing what you are and why,

Knowing that you too will die
Making carbon in the sky.
So remind us in the dark 
Who with grace round this weird arc
Of the tour all lives must take
As you shine till dawn must break,
Singing soundless through the dark
Of creation to my eye,
Greater songs than morning’s lark, 
Far beyond all sense of high. 
Twinkle twinkle, awesome spark
Making diamonds in the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment