Invitation

Come be by me and be my best
         Decision, quality and chance,
My first choice now, my last request,
         Resort, resource, breath, word and dance.

Come couch with me by night of day,
         And end the human rite of shame
Hearing my bending body pray
         Across your bed and in your name.

Come end up with me, be my tone
         And I will resonate with you
Though stars sing down or oceans groan,
         Though winds cry How or owls ask Who.

Come link with me mit Sturm und Drang
         Set evening and the mind on end. 
Laugh with me. Be my right and wrong.
         Once more unto the breach, dear friend.

Come, kiss, and make the short months bow
         To love re-made in quantum Time,
Reducing every Then and Now
         Between us to the ever prime.

Come fall for me asleep, again
         Feeling our private planet turn.
Who else will break both bed and brain?
         Who else professes what I learn?

1 comment:

  1. A very evocative poem, with some clever and well-wrought images, echoes, and language, all in a decidedly modern idiom.
    The first line evokes Marlowe's "Come live with me and be my love," even as to meter and cadence. A quick departure to another idiom introduces a thematic balance among intellectual, emotional, and sexual sides of the question of love between individuals that persists throughout and gives the poem its focus, and for me, it's interest.
    The second stanza introduces physical love, with a more elevated language and a more traditionally 'poetic' tone. The imagery turns more visual with the bending body and the bed; spiritual also, with prayer and supplication with a first hint of libidinous desire.
    Stanza three reverts at first to more idiomatic style('end up with me'), then plays on the ambiguity of emotional and musical 'tone' and resonance; thence on to the visual and auditory images in the context of nature, the stars, seas, winds, and birds.
    Stanza four introduces turmoil and conflict, with 'Sturm und Drang,' 'setting evening and mind on end' (a nice use of zeugma). Then moderates to laughter, moral ambiguity, and a sexual encounter? (See below on double entendres dropped here and there throughout the poem.)
    Stanza five treats of physical love ('kiss'): its opportunities and duration ('short months'); repetition ('re-made in quantum Time'); intimacy and urgency ('between us to the ever prime').
    The last stanza begins with a tmesis ('fall for me asleep' — fall for me, fall asleep) and more connotations of intimacy and time ('feeling our private planet turn'). A final juxtaposition is made of intellectual and sexual love, ('break both bed and brain').
    The essential ambiguity of the poem is reconciled in the last line, the other professing and the poet learning both ideas and new sexual experiences.
    Throughout, there are oblique references to sexuality of an anal nature. 'End up' (the bottom, the posterior raised for sex?) may foreshadow the later 'set... mind on end' (set the mind on thoughts of the posterior?); 'unto the breech' (again 'the bottom,' deliberately not the Bard's original 'breach'). The more discursive 'end the human rite of shame' may refer to sex in general, or to acts that have been viewed as inherently shameful, as anal sex: the osculum nefandum, the 'shameful kiss,' or anal penetration.
    Finally, back to beginnings, each stanza begins with a similar injunction: Come be, end up with, couch, link, kiss, fall for. These repetitions serve to reinforce the original evocation of Marlowe, but also to bind the whole together into unity amid some measure of thematic diversity.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the poem, and admire the poet's art and artifice. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete